2018 Competition & panel: Emerging heuristic optimization algorithms for operational planning of sustainable electrical power systems
Confirm your participation by 20 Jan. 2018. Deadline: 20 Mar. 2018.
The operational planning of sustainable electrical power systems is facing higher stochasticity introduced by massive integration of variable renewable generation and the diversification of the sources for flexibility in highly interactive energy markets and multi-energy sector coupling. Therefore, the scheduling problems involved in operational planning need consideration of non-linear models, probabilistic models, and a large number of decision variables. This entails mathematically complex and computationally expense formulations, which cannot be tackled by classical optimization tools.
This panel and competition, to be held at the 2018 IEEE PES General Meeting, introduces two benchmark problems (also denoted as optimization test beds):
- Test bed 1: Stochastic OPF in Presence of Renewable Energy and Controllable Loads. Developers: Sergio Rivera (Universidad Nacional de Colombia), Ameena Saad Al-Sumaiti (Masdar Institute, Khalifa University of Science and Technology), Diego Rodriguez (GERS USA LLC), Manuel Gers (GERS USA LLC), José Rueda (Delft University of Technology), Kwang Y. Lee (Baylor University), and István Erlich (University Duisburg-Essen).
- Test bed 2: Dynamic OPF in Presence of Renewable Energy and Electric Vehicles. Developers. Sergio Rivera (Universidad Nacional de Colombia), Ameena Saad Al-Sumaiti (Masdar Institute, Khalifa University of Science and Technology), Camilo Cortes (Universidad Nacional de Colombia), José Rueda (Delft University of Technology), Kwang Y. Lee (Baylor University), and István Erlich (University Duisburg-Essen).
Besides, the panel will present the results and a comparative evaluation concerning the performance of different modern heuristic optimization algorithms, which are developed by different researchers worldwide. Researchers are challenged to solve the benchmarks, which are treated as black-box problems. They are only allowed to improve the methodological framework of their algorithms.
The first three ranked algorithms will be selected for presentation at the panel, for which only PowerPoint presentations are required. All interested participants are encouraged to send an email to email@example.com by 20 January 2018, indicating their names, affiliation, and the algorithm to be used. The deadline for submission of results and codes is 20 March 2018.
The details of the evaluation process and the order of the top 3 algorithms for each test bed will be announced in the 2018 IEEE PES General Meeting.
Organizers of the panel:
Chairman: Dr. José Rueda, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Co-chair 1: Prof. István Erlich ,University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany (email@example.com)
Co-chair 2: Dr. Sergio Rivera, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Colombia (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Call for competition: 4 January 2018
- Confirmation of participation: 20 January 2018
- Submission of results and codes: 20 March 2018
- Announcement of best three ranked algorithms: 20 April 2018
- 2017 IEEE PES General Meeting: 5-10 August 2018
(Información remitida por el prof. Sergio Rivera)
[Boletín UN Investiga 375, 18 de enero de 2018]