Institutional Links Call 2019 / Bioproductos Colombia BIO (Newton Fund; research and innovation collaborations)
Deadline: 9 August 2019
Institutional Links provides grants for the development of research and innovation collaborations between the UK and partner countries. The British Council runs Institutional Links in partnership with research and higher education institutions globally.
British Council also runs Institutional Links under the Newton Fund (for Colombia, Fondo Newton Caldas). Under the Newton Fund, Institutional Links grants facilitate research that tackles local development challenges such as extreme weather conditions, access to affordable health care, food and energy security.
- Cofunder: Colciencias
- Size of grant: £50,000 - £300,000 (for Colombia: up to £98,000, of which Colciencias will fund up to £48,000)
- Duration of grants (Colombia): 12-18 months
- Priority areas: Partner countries may specify priority areas and will only accept applications within these.
- Priority areas for Colombia:
- Agriculture and Foodstuffs
- Agricultural bio-inputs
- Agricultural interest native species improved through genetic engineering techniques
- Biotechnologies to produce raw materials and the improvement of the quality and properties of food industry products
- Climate and the Environment
- Biosensors for environmental monitoring and
- Contaminated water and soil bioremediation systems based on micro-organisms, plants, and other live organisms
- Bioprocesses for the transformation of organic waste
into useful products
- Cell or enzyme-based biological systems for replacing non-biological environmentally. unfriendly industrial methods
- Bioproducts for replacing petroleum-based products
- Development of biomaterials derived from biomass or organic waste
- New medicines or therapeutic agents based on active
ingredients found in Colombian biodiversity for the treatment of infectious diseases and non-infectious diseases, cardiovascular diseases and cancer
- New cosmetic products based on active ingredients
found in Colombian diversity
- Sustainable energy
- Biological systems for the transformation of biomass
(agricultural, forestry or industrial waste) into biofuels and chemical products of interest to industry.
- Official development assistance (ODA) requirement: All applications must meet the required relevance to economic development or social welfare of the partner country.
- Each proposal must have one Principal Applicant from the UK, as well as a Principal Applicant from the partner countries (which include Colombia).
- All Principal Applicants must be Leading Researchers or Established Researchers as defined by the European Commission.
- List of eligible UK research institutions
- Elegibility criteria for Colombia include:
- Colombian applicants must be research groups recognised by Colciencias (in accordance with the results of Colciencias Call No. 781 of 2017), affiliated with public and private higher education institutions or non-profit technological research and development centres or institutes.
- The Principal Applicant from Colombia must be ranked as Senior, Associate or Junior Researcher as per results of Colciencias Call No. 781 of 2017.
- The proposal may include other work team members such as associated collaborators (not eligible to apply as lead institutions) who are interested in the technology to be developed, such as:
- University spin-offs legally established in Colombia as of the call's closing date
- For-profit companies of all sizes and legally established in Colombia at least two (2) years before the Call's closing date
- Technology transfer offices
Deadline for Colombia: 9 August 2019, 16:00 UK time (10:00 Colombian time)
[Boletín SIUN 442, 20/21 de junio de 2019]