METI Government of Japan, Japan Internship Program 2019 (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry)
Deadline: mid-June 2019
Although the number of Japanese companies expanding overseas business has increased in recent years due to the shrinkage of the domestic market, the shortage of "global talent" who is responsible for overseas development, especially for Small-and Medium-Sized Enterprises, has become a challenge.
Utilizing highly skilled foreign professionals, such as for participation in overseas expansion or creation of innovation with a new viewpoint, might be attributed to strengthening competitiveness of Japanese companies. However it has not advanced, especially in Small-and-Medium-Sized companies, due to their lack of experience in working with foreign talent or the network.
This program is aimed at foreign nationals of developing countries (OECD/DAC-listed countries excluding China; Colombia is included).
Selected interns will be sent to private-sector companies, industry associations, and non-profit corporations in Japan. Host companies are determined after matching by the Program Office and subsequent approval by the Screening Committee.
Internship periods for foreign nationals range from 1 September (earliest) to 17 December 2019 (latest). See the call for details.
Applicants satisfying all the following requirements are eligible:
- Agreeing with the spirit of this program, and through the internship promoting internationalization of Japanese companies, developing the overseas business of Japanese companies, and working together to construct networks with overseas universities etc.
- Holding citizenship of an eligible country or region.
- Proficiency in Japanese language (JLPT level N3 or higher) or proficiency in English.
- As a rule, applicants should be at least 20 years of age and no older than 40 as of 14 June 2019.
- Applicants must able to submit a school or university enrolment or graduation certificate as well as a letter of recommendation from an affiliated university or institution, etc.
- Able to undertake both the internship and Pre-Training full-time at the host company. (International students must also able to balance these against their studies)
- Other requirements meeting any individual conditions stipulated by the host company.
- Applicant must not have participated in this Program in 2016, 2017, 2018.
Registration is accepted online via the registration form on the Program Office website.
Selection is conducted through document screening, primary interview (local language/English/Japanese), and secondary interview (Japanese/English). As part of the selection process, various certificates (university qualifications, language skills, etc.), letters of recommendation, photographs, documents required for the visa, etc. are to be submitted individually.
This program offers work experience, not actual employment. It aims to provide interns with workplace skills and know-how. Please note it is not a substitute for casual or part-time employment etc.
Deadline: mid-June 2019
[Boletín SIUN 439, 30/31 de mayo de 2019]