Research Fellowships for Health Professionals, July 2019 round (Wellcome Trust)
This scheme offers practising health professionals the opportunity to carry out humanities or social science research, in any area of health.
You can apply for a Research Fellowship if you're a practising health professional with some research experience.
The research you propose should aim to improve understanding of health and disease using humanities or social science methods.
You must want to do one of the following:
- A PhD. You must have a relevant Master's degree or equivalent research experience. You must also have an offer of a place on a PhD programme, or evidence that you expect to receive one. This must be at an eligible host organisation in the UK, Republic of Ireland or a low- or middle-income country.
- A project at postdoctoral level. You must have a relevant PhD or equivalent research experience. You must also have sponsorship from an eligible host organisation in the UK, Republic of Ireland or a low- or middle-income country.
Examples of areas Wellcome Trust will consider include, but are not limited to:
- how social, environmental and political structures determine health
- how governments, communities and individuals respond to disease and pursue wellbeing
- the cultural meanings and significance of sickness and health
- the challenges of modern biomedicine.
Your proposal can be relevant to your immediate working environment. It can also have elements of applied research, but this should not be the main focus. For example, a project focused on developing an intervention is unlikely to be funded.
You can't apply if:
- you hold a permanent academic post
- you've received support for your doctoral studies from another funding body.
You must have:
- a sponsor who holds an established post (or an honorary academic appointment) at your sponsoring organisation and is committed to helping you achieve your career aspirations
- one or more supervisors or research mentors with strong track records in humanities or social science who'll offer you advice about your application, research training and guidance throughout the fellowship.
You should give careful thought to your choice of sponsor and supervisor(s) or research mentor(s). They should have strong track records in research and mentorship.
Preliminary application deadline: 2 July 2019, 17:00 BST (11:00 Colombian time)
Full application deadline: 12 September 2019, 17:00 BST (11:00 Colombian time)
[Boletín SIUN 441, 13/14 de junio de 2019]