Visiting Senior Research Fellows at UNU Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS)
Next deadline: 30 September 2019.
The United Nations University Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS) is a research institute at the intersections of information and communication technology (ICTs) and sustainable development. UNU-CS conducts UN policy-relevant research and generates solutions, addressing key issues expressed in the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development through high-impact innovations and frontier technologies.
Through its research, UNU-CS encourages data-driven and evidence-based actions and policies to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNU-CS is situated in Macau Special Administrative Region (S.A.R), China, and it is the only UN entity in the city. The Pearl River Delta, which embraces Macau, Hong Kong, and Guangdong Province, is considered an emerging Silicon Valley due to its booming economy and technological innovations. The strategic location provides an exciting opportunity for researchers and experts to maximize the impact of their work.
UNU-CS welcomes seasoned researchers to join us and co-create exciting research projects together. To this aim, UNU-CS is establishing a Senior Research Fellow programme.
Senior Research Fellows will spend three (3) to six (6) months in residence at UNU-CS in Macau to explore research topics based on UNU-CS and their common interest, independently or jointly with a UNU-CS host researcher. You will conduct high quality research that can push new frontiers, deepen core research understanding, and/or offer new approaches to long-standing developmental issues in the field of ICTs and sustainable development. Your research outcomes will inform UN policymaking on the issues related to ICTs and sustainable development.
The selected Senior Research Fellows will receive the following benefits:
- office space in UNU-CS' newly renovated office building, which is part of Macau’s rich cultural heritage
- free accommodation in UNU-CS’ staff apartment facility in the centre of Macau, a 15 minute walk from the office; you will not pay rent but utilities only (continuous residency is preferred, but flexible residency can be considered exceptionally)
- economy travel to and from Macau on the first arrival and final departure
- a stipend based on experience, competitive with local market rates
UNU-CS will accept applications on a quarterly basis on 1 October 2019, 4 January 2020, 1 April 2020, and 1 July 2020, with expected starting dates on 4 January, 1 April, 1 July and 1 October 2020
Selected candidates may be invited for a joint presentation/interview to elaborate on the project proposal as part of the selection process.
At the end of the this fellowship programme, the Senior Research Fellows are expected jointly or independently to produce a research paper and a UN policy relevant output.
Required qualifications and experience include:
- holder of a Ph.D. or equivalent degree.
- holder of a faculty or senior research position at another institution.
- have at least 10 years of academic research experience, with proven records and publications of academic excellence.
- engaged in research relevant to UNU-CS’ research agendas.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. UN income is not subject to taxes in Macau.
Next deadline: 30 September 2019 (UTC+8; Colombian time + 13 hours)
[Boletín SIUN 441, 13/14 de junio de 2019]