Branco Weiss Postdoc Fellowship for young researchers 2020 - Society in Science
Deadline: 15 January 2020
The Branco Weiss Fellowship – Society in Science is a unique postdoc program. It awards young researchers around the world with a generous personal research grant, giving them the freedom to work on whatever topic they choose anywhere in the world, for up to five years.
This research fellowship is designed to support postdoctoral researchers after their PhD and before their first faculty appointment. Those in current postdoctoral positions are also eligible. Ideally, fellows pursue unconventional projects in new areas of science, engineering and social sciences.
The fellowship program was initiated and financed by the Swiss entrepreneur Dr. Branco Weiss, who passed away in October 2010. The program is based at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH).
A Branco Weiss Fellowship consists of CHF 100,000 per year. It may be used to cover all legitimate costs of research (i.e. salary and/or equipment, travel expenses, consumables, personnel, etc.).
The ideal applicant has the competencies to design a surprisingly novel and scientifically rigorous research project which blazes new trails, profiting from the freedom uniquely offered by the fellowship.
You are eligible for the 2020 campaign if:
- You officially hold a PhD on January 15, 2020
- You have obtained your PhD a maximum of five years prior to January 15, 2020
- You do not hold or have held a faculty-equivalent position (e.g. assistant professor or lecturer)
- Your project departs from the mainstream of research in your discipline
- You have a record of outstanding scientific achievement
- You demonstrate in the proposal a willingness to engage in a dialogue on relevant social, cultural, political or economic issues across the frontiers of your particular discipline
Please do not be disheartened if you have applied before and were not selected, you are welcome to apply again.
Your application will not be forwarded for evaluation if you already have or have held a faculty-equivalent position (e.g. assistant professor or lecturer)
The fellowship is awarded in two installments:
- The pioneer phase: the first two years of research
- The exploitation phase: the remaining three years
At the end of the pioneer phase, a review is conducted. This evaluates the project, its continued originality, and the productivity of the fellow. Branco Weiss Fellows are encouraged to seek faculty positions during their exploitation phase; success hereby will not terminate the fellowship.
Deadline: 15 January 2020, 11:59 pm Central European Time (17:59/5:59 pm Colombian time)
(Vía Euraxess América Latina y el Caribe)
[Boletín SIUN 465, 28/29 de noviembre de 2019]