Young Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD) Fellow at UNU Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS)
Deadline: 30 June 2019.
The United Nations University Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS) is a research institute at the intersections of information and communication technology (ICTs) and sustainable development. UNU-CS conducts UN policy-relevant research and generates solutions, addressing key issues expressed in the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development through high-impact innovations and frontier technologies.
Through its research, UNU-CS encourages data-driven and evidence-based actions and policies to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNU-CS is situated in Macau Special Administrative Region (S.A.R), China, and it is the only UN entity in the city. The Pearl River Delta, which embraces Macau, Hong Kong, and Guangdong Province, is considered an emerging Silicon Valley due to its booming economy and technological innovations. The strategic location provides an exciting opportunity for researchers and experts to maximize the impact of their work.
UNU-CS welcomes recent PhD graduates to join us and co-create exciting research projects together. To this aim, UNU-CS is establishing a Young Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD) Fellowship programme.
ICTD Fellows will spend one year in residence at UNU-CS in Macau to conduct research in ICTD under the supervision of UNU-CS Principal Researchers and the Head of Research. You will conduct high quality research that can push new frontiers, deepen core research understanding, and/or offer new approaches to long-standing developmental issues in the field of ICTs and sustainable development. Your research outcomes will inform UN policy-making on issues related to ICTs and sustainable development.
The selected ICTD Fellows will receive the following benefits:
- office space in UNU-CS' newly renovated office building, which is part of Macau’s rich cultural heritage
- free accommodation in UNU-CS’ staff apartment facility in the centre of Macau, a 15 minute walk from the office; you will not pay rent but utilities only (continuous residency is required)
- economy travel to and from Macau on the first arrival and final departure
- a stipend, competitive with local market rates
Selected candidates will be invited for an interview, as part of the selection process.
At the end of the fellowship programme, the ICTD Fellows are expected to jointly or independently produce research papers and a UN policy relevant outputs.
Required qualifications and experience include:
- a Ph.D. or equivalent degree completed in a relevant discipline in the last two years
- demonstrated experience conceptualising and carrying out desk and field research in an area relevant to the ICTD field
- engagement in research relevant to UNU-CS’ research agendas
- excellent command of spoken and written English
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. UN income is not subject to taxes in Macau.
Deadline: 30 June 2019 (UTC+8; Colombian time + 13 hours)
[Boletín SIUN 441, 13/14 de junio de 2019]